India

During a visit to India by General 'Boy' Browning, in the autumn of 1943, the decision was made to raise the 44th Indian Airborne Division which would comprise paratrops and gliderborne infantry. A Depot was opened at Rawalpindi and CG-4A gliders began to arrive at Chaklala, where they were assembled by RAF personnel.

 

In January 1944, the War Office was asked to supply eighty glider pilots. Since all resources were committed to the invasion of France it was only possible to send thirty. HQ South-East Asia Command (SEAC) asked Middle east Command for forty volunteer NCOs who could be trained as second pilots in India. These duly arrived. So it was, in the August, that 10 Independent Glider Pilot Squadron was formed.

 

Vice Admiral Louis Mountbatten, Supreme Commander SEAC, had plans in place for operations that would require gliders. To achieve this, two RAF Wings, each of three squadrons were raised and RAF pilots, surplus to requirements, were converted onto gliders. These pilots would make up four-fifths of the complement.

Selection boards for the volunteers were set up. Some of the interviewers were Staff Sergeants, from the former North African contingent, who had been commissioned.

 

238 Group was established at the start of 1945, in readiness for the recapture of Malaya, 10 Independent Squadron was disbanded and its members transferred to 670 Squadron.

Above: A German DFS 230 Glider

The Foundations of the GPR are laid

A Glider Training Squadron had been set up, under the command of Squadron Leader H E Hervey, MC. Initial gliding tests were carried out by using Swallow aircraft with their propellers removed. A nationwide request for sailplanes brought in enough to begin training instructors, pilots and ground crew. Of the Squadron's first four trainer gliders, three had been built in Germany!

On 26 September, 1940, the Duke of Kent watched a demonstration involving two towed gliders. The following month a five-mile night tow was undertaken with two Avro 504s and four sailplanes. Also in October, sixty-six men, from No. 2 Commando, with previous flying experience were attached to Army Co-operation Command squadrons for preliminary training prior to conversion to glider coxswains (the initial name for glider pilots). When a Glider Wing was formed in December, the sixty-six were held on its establishment. However, the question of further recruits from the Army lay in the balance. The ability of Army personnel as fit to fly was a long-standing and contentious issue. Indeed, the Deputy Chief of the Air Staff, Sir Arthur Harris, thought Army flying preposterous:

 

"The idea that semi-skilled, unpicked personnel (infantry corporals have, I believe, even been suggested) could with a maximum of training be entrusted with the piloting of these troop carriers is fantastic. Their (the gliders) operation is equivalent to forced landing the largest sized aircraft without engine aid - than which there is no higher test of piloting skill."

Two events brought the issue to a close. On 26 April, 1941, Churchill visited the Central Landing Establishment at Ringway. He found just a handful of glider pilots in training. Then, on 20 May, Germany captured Crete with airborne troops. Churchill called for immediate action, and it was agreed that the Army would supply glider pilots with the RAF taking responsibility for qualifying them. To counter any problems which might arise at parent units with personnel on detached duties, it was also decided to form a new Army Air Corps with two autonomous regiments, the Glider Pilot and the Parachute. The former was established by Army Order on 24 February 1942.

 

Churchill's Response

On 22 June Churchill sent the following to the Army Chief of Staff:

GENERAL ISMAY

             for War Office


"We ought to have a corps of at least 5000 parachute troops, including a proportion of Australians, New Zealanders and Canadians, together with some trustworthy people from Norway and France. I see more difficulty in selecting and employing Danes, Dutch and Belgians. I hear that something is being done to form such a corps but only I believe on a small scale. Advantage must be taken of the summer to train these forces who can none the less play their part meanwhile as shock troops in Home Defence. Pray let me have a note from the War Office on the subject."

The "something" which was being done was The Central Landing School which had opened at RAF Ringway, Manchester on 21 June! Its brief was to investigate the logistical requirements for the use of paratroops and gliderborne troops.

 

By 6 August, the Air Ministry was able to tell Churchill that 500 volunteers were being trained as paratroops. The Prime Minister was quick to point out that this was only a tenth of the number he had requested in his Minute. The reply was couched in terms of logistics and, in any case, the Ministry considered parachute delivery of troops to be somewhat outmoded. The use of gliders gave far greater breadth to any airborne operation. Churchill's retort was a wish to see a full report on all the work which had been done on gliders. The report arrived on his desk on 9 September. It outlined the types of operations on which airborne troops could be most usefully employed. A complement of 1,000 men was thought a realistic requirement and of this number 900 would be carried by glider. Altogether, by Spring 1941, the War Office expected to have 2,700 glider troops and 360 pilots.

Above: One of the first British military glider demonstrations at RAF Ringway, December 1940 (Source: Imperial War Museum. Cat No. H6215)

Recruiting an Elite

Towards the end of 1941 the following notice was posted in Messes and NAAFIs:

 

THE AIRBORNE FORCES OF THE BRITISH ARMY CONSIST OF PARACHUTE TROOPS AND GLIDER-BORNE TROOPS OF ALL ARMS OF THE SERVICE.

 

Officers and men in any Regiment or Corps (except RAC), who are medically fit, may apply for transfer to a parachute or glider-borne unit of the Airborne Forces...A limited number of officers and other ranks are urgently required for training as glider pilots. Applications for transfer or further information should be made to unit headquarters.

 

Look at the personal stories of the men who joined the Glider Pilot Regiment and it will not take long to see that they were of a similar breed. It goes without saying that they wanted to fly - many had hoped to fly with the RAF but had been disappointed. More than this, they wanted to do something positive. Don't misunderstand this. A good number had already seen service in Europe as part of the British Expeditionary Force. However, they, and others who had only been on Home Defence duties, felt that there had to be another way of taking the fight to the enemy and bringing the war to a speedy end.

 

Unit Commanders were obliged to forward all applications to Joint Air Force/Army selection boards which used he RAF aircrew selection system.


Training


All successful candidates were sent to the GPR Depot at Tilshead for six weeks. During this time the recruits were 'put through their paces' in the knowledge that they could be Returned To Unit (RTU'd) for any reason decided by the Depot staff. 

Those who survived Tilshead then went to one of four Elementary Flying Training Schools. The course lasted twelve weeks, and qualified a trainee as a light aircraft pilot. 

 

                      EFTS                                         Date became operational

No. 16 EFTS, RAF Burnaston,  Derby                   January 1942

No. 21 EFTS, RAF Booker, High Wycombe          May        1942

No. 29 EFTS, RAF Clyffe Pypard                           May        1942

No. 3   EFTS, RAF Shellingford                             July        1942

From EFTS, the pilot went on to a further twelve week course at a Glider Training School where he qualified on the Hotspur. 

 

                       GTS                                          Date became operational

No. 1 GTS, Thame                                                  April             1941                     No. 2 GTS, Weston-on-the-Green                        November    1941

No. 3 GTS, Stoke Orchard                                     May              1942

No. 4 GTS, Kidlington                                            July               1942

No. 5 GTS, Shobdon                                              July               1942

A short period of ground training at the Regimental Depot was followed by a six week conversion course onto the Horsa glider at a Heavy Glider Conversion Unit. In 1944 it was decided that a three-week course would be sufficient for the pilot to take command of the glider.
 

                      HGCU                                        Date became operational

No. 21 HGCU, Shrewton                                        June        1942
later Brize Norton                          

No. 22 HGCU, Fairford                                           October   1942

 

Organisation

 

In January 1944 the Regiment was formed into 'Wings', 'Squadrons' and 'Flights'. During the war there were two Wings, each corresponding with a lightly armed infantry battalion, and seven squadrons. An Independent Squadron worked in the Middle East and the Mediterranean. Each squadron had four operational flights and a Headquarters flight. A flight comprised four Officers and forty-eight Other Ranks.

 

Although known as the 'NCO Regiment', since the lowest rank held by a trained member was Sergeant, the GPR had its fair share of officers. Squadron commanders held the rank of Major, whilst Flight commanders were Lieutenants or Captains. 

© 2021 The Glider Pilot Regiment Society

UK Registered Charity No. 1184175

​Privacy Policy
 

We only collect information from you if you complete a membership application form or make a purchase from our shop. This information is controlled under the General Data Protection Regulations which means that it remains secure on the Wix server, Gmail server or in a secure database, and it will never be shared by us with any Third Party. For our Full Statement please email membership@gliderpilotregiment.org.uk